Gaylord is the largest
city in Otsego
and the County Seat. It was
settled in 1873 when the Jackson, Lansing, and Saginaw Railroad was
extended north from Otsego
The village was named
Barnes in honor of Orlando .M. Barnes of Lansing, secretary of
the railroad company. The name
was soon changed to Gaylord in honor of Augustine Smith Gaylord, an
attorney for the railroad.
The original plat of
the village is dated October 30, 1874 and was recorded December 2, 1874.
That part of the plat north of
was owned by the railroad, the part lying south was owned by Orlando M.
Barnes. In 1876, the county seat
moved to Gaylord from
On November 10, 1877 William F. Parmater, a township
supervisor, was appointed to select a site for the Court House in
Gaylord. He and George Smith decided to build on the land given by O.M.
Barnes and his wife - lots
Augustine S. Gaylord
17, and 18 of Block 10.
incorporated as a village in 1881. The first Council meeting was held
March 18, 1881 with Chester C. Mitchell as presiding officer. It
remained a village until 1922 when by a vote of 114 for to 93 against,
it became a fourth class city. John Hamilton, village president at the
time, became the first mayor in April of 1922.
Gaylord Illustrated 1905
Photo book of community leaders, businesses, homes, buildings
Otsego County Herald - Souvenir Edition
Similar to the Gaylord Illustrated booklet with the addition of written
Gaylord Centennial 1881-1981
Gaylord Herald Times
October 1, 1981
56 pages 27MB
here for photos of downtown Gaylord shown block by block
Click here for post cards of Gaylord and Otsego County
-- Jan White Collection
Otsego County Centennial Book