See the Museum
Photos of Gaylord's
Main Street
Barns of Otsego
County
Articles/Written
History
Driving Tour of
Historic Sites
Photo Gallery
Endowment Fund
Oral History
Links
About Us

Elmira

In 1873, the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad pushed through the wilderness of northern Michigan to the Elmira area.  In  the summer of 1876, Mr. Babcock erected a small building and opened a store.  In 1877, William S. Hartwell purchased 40 acres of land along the railroad.  When platted with a parcel owned by Thomas S. Jordan and his wife Sarah, the newly formed community became the village of Windsor.  Later the name was changed to Elmira.  The reason is unknown

Photos from Camera Club

Otsego County Centennial Book
Pages 26  27  28


[Home]


Otsego County
Historical Society

320 W. Main St.
Gaylord, Michigan

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1223
Gaylord, MI  49734

(989) 732-4568
OCHSmuseum@gmail.com

 

2000-2009 Otsego County Historical Society, Inc.

Visit the Otsego Community Connection Website

Hit Counter .