In an effort to preserve the old St. Mary
Cathedral, a Gaylord landmark, the Mt. Carmel Historical Group was
founded. This group purchased the building from the Diocese of Gaylord
in 1985 and has been granted tax exempt status as a nonprofit
The Building is situated in the center of
the city of Gaylord and was constructed in 1900-1901, at a total cost of
some fifteen thousand dollars. At that time and for years to come, it
was the largest building in the area. The bell tower and its ubiquitous
clock have withstood years of harsh treatment by the weather and
continue to serve as a beacon and landmark for the Alpine Village.
Mt. Carmel Centre is dedicated to
preserve the history of the community arts activities; a site for
cultural pursuits of various types.
Back to Home